At least 50% of people who sustain a concussion or traumatic brain injury have visual deficits as a consequence. Eye teaming, eye focusing, eye movement control, and visual processing can all be adversely affected by injury to the brain.
These are some of the many commonly seen visual deficits after a concussion or traumatic brain injury:
- Light Sensitivity
- Feeling mentally foggy
- Disruption of normal sleep pattern
- Feeling overwhelmed in a busy environment
- Difficulty working on the computer
- Struggling to read
- Feeling disconnected
- Glasses may be prescribed to help the individual execute their visual skills better.
- Vision Therapy may be recommended to improve the individual’s visual skills.
- Functional supports. We will make suggestions that will help an individual function in their daily living activities.
One day Ceil woke up with strange symptoms. Without any explanation, her life changed dramatically. Her vision was blurry; she had severe pain in her eyes and she could barely stand without falling. She spent months in bed as countless doctors failed to give her any clarity or hope. Little did she know, a concussion she experienced months before was the culprit. If you have unexplainable symptoms such as:
- You have difficulty driving because when the sun shines through the trees it causes a strobe effect.
- You can’t tolerate being in busy spaces like a mall or supermarket.
- You’re having trouble judging where things are in space.
- You feel disconnected from the world around you.
Then you should be evaluated as soon as possible. These are visual issues that are often caused by a concussion. Even if you see 20/20 on an eye chart, you could still have other visual skill deficits. How we process motion, light, and where things are in space are visual skills. Listen to Ceil’s story…does it sound familiar? If so, then please schedule an evaluation today. Don’t spend another day suffering from inexplicable symptoms.
Monday – Friday: 9:00am – 5:00pm
Main Office (Evaluations and Vision Therapy)
464 Maple Avenue
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
1783 Route 9 Suite 101
Clifton Park, NY 12065